About a year ago iTunes began to feature a new download: podcasts. Seeing that it was free and not knowing what exactly this new feature was, I checked one out. I wasn't sure where to start, or what I wanted to listen to, so I quickly just choose to hear one fan's reaction to the season finale of the show "24". My original podcast experience did not leave me hooked on these homemade radio shows: I found them long, hard to follow, and too opinionated to have any real credibility. I also couldn't get the image of a lonely prime-time t.v. obsessed man sitting in his basement talking into a computer microphone, hoping someone would just listen. I was not impressed, and have not streamed a podcast since...
However, I was very recently asked to listen to an industry podcast (Marketing Edge byAlbert Maruggi) and really examine this quickly growing method of obtaining real industry information. I was ready to really see (or hear) how this new communication now fits into our constantly changing and expanding world. This experience gave me a different, more positive opinion of podcasts. I listened to two casts by Maruggi, and after spending the first few minutes wondering "what is this guy talking about?", I actually started to follow what he was saying. Maruggi has a very enthusiastic and easy to follow voice, and it is obvious he comes from a position of experience in the business. I also liked that he incorporated interviews with other experts, offering a dialogue that I could easily follow, while introducing multiple ideas and views on whatever topic he was discussing.
If I were to become an avid listener of podcasts, Maruggi offers an easy to follow option. He has broadcasted episodes on many topics ranging from health care to youtube, so he is obviously well informed. The casts I listened to were also relatively short, so I wasn't left bored and itching to close the tab and move onto something else. Finally, I liked how this information only required my listening ears, leaving my hands and eyes free to do other work while I listened. His information was very useful that I would go as far as suggesting listeners take notes.
So I may not be hooked on podcasts yet, but my second experience has definitely surpassed my first. I can now see how this new idea fits into the industry and adds to our ever evolving search for new information and ideas. Who knows, in a world where anyone can be an internet star, by my third listen I may start my own.
Friday, September 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment